I’m just going to come right out and say it – these are the best dang shrimp I’ve ever made in my life... like, I just finished my plate and immediately had to come write this because it’s so dang good the whole world needs to know about it!
Thankfully, it’s super simple and an affordable take on a fancy shrimp dinner out, too.
– 1 lb bag frozen raw, shelled, deveined, tail off (saves so much time, worth the extra pennies)
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– 1 egg
– 3 cups coconut flour
– garlic powder (to taste)
– cumin (to taste)
– ground ginger (just a little)
– Trader Joe’s Vegan Chicken-less Seasoning Salt (tastes like Ramen noodles seasoning)
– place shrimp in strainer and run cold water over it until thawed
– microwave coconut oil until it becomes liquid (about 15 seconds)
– combine coconut oil with one egg
– in separate mixing bowl, combine coconut flour with seasonings
– dredge shrimp in egg wash, then flour mixture, then place into air fryer
– cook on 380 for 10 minutes, flipping once halfway
Honestly, the only thing that’s missing from this recipe that would make these coconut shrimp is the coconut flakes. I didn’t have any and was too impatient to wait to make these, LOL, so I decided to make coconut-flavored shrimp (thanks coconut oil and coconut flour!)
One of the best parts of ordering coconut shrimp at a restaurant is banking on getting some sweet and tangy sauce to dip those bad boys in. I’m still working on perfecting a keto-friendly sweet chili sauce, but, what I made today is ah-mazing!
– Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
– fish Sauce
– G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ sauce
– ground ginger
– garlic powder
I didn’t measure them…ended up using about two big spoonfuls of mayo, one big spoonful of BBQ, plenty of fish sauce and sriracha and minimal seasonings. I like to measure to taste and make adjustments throughout until it’s exactly what I’m going for.
If you can’t tell, I love to cook/bake based off of my mood. And if I’m out of an ingredient, I’ll improvise! Today was a good day for improvisation. I’m definitely making these air-fried shrimp again.
What else would you like to see me make? Drop a comment below!